Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Weather Outside is Frightful...

Oh how I long to be warm!!  The sun today was so deceiving, and I was thinking about jumping into the car and heading off to the lakeshore to get some of those famous frozen lighthouse pictures from Lake Michigan.

We've had so much lake effect snow since before Christmas, that unless you had to go to the lake, it just wasn't a good idea. Snow squalls come up in a matter of minutes and complete white outs result. Suffice it to say driving is not recommended.  South Haven Schools have now used up all of their snow days for the year and if they need to close anymore, (pretty much guaranteed at this point), they will have to make up the days in the summer.  If you must see for yourself, here is a link to the photo diary at our local CBS news afiliate in Kalamazoo, MI: http://www.wwmt.com/share/gallery/?plckGalleryID=f7b67355-b1c5-45ab-bf49-f53edf865c55   It really does get like this in the North, LOL!!

I have been chuckling over a blog I follow of a dear gentleman in Key West, as they go through the worst cold spell there in recent memory.  While I know how hot it gets there in the summer, and that they are not used to it, I still have a hard time thinking 50 is cold. Even with a strong north wind and rain, to me that is just good football weather (minus the rain, of course!)  While he laments over 40 degree wind chills tonight, I will be dealing with 7 degrees, and that is without windchill.  It will bottom out at or near 0 with a high of 22 tomorrow.  I know he would say that I choose to live here, which is only half true. I don't choose to, I just can't convince my husband that we need the sunshime more than he needs that job in the auto industry.  Maybe someday, I can convince him to see the light, literally! LOL!!

So while I spend a night snuggled in flannel sheets, with layered pj's, I'll be thinking of the Florida Keys.  What an opportunity to catch some of those stunned iguanas and get them the heck out of the area! LOL!!!  I don't know, do chickens hibernate there at those temps as well?  You could make a run at getting rid of some of them too!  They fare here pretty well into the single digits, so I imagine they might not like the cold, but won't be as still as the iguana's will be! 

Just finished a wonderful book, American by Choice, by Craig Ferguson.  I am amazed at how one person can do so many things wrong, and land on his feet every time!! I know he is Scottish, but from his luck, I would think he has a wee bit of the Irish in his background somewhere!! Great read if you are interested!

Song of the day: Stand and Deliver, Adam Ant ( and as my daughter has shown me, No Doubt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrwF5kt9wtA   Adam Ant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV4vrptMwU8&feature=related  No Doubt on Gossip Girl

2 comments:

  1. Yes, longing for those warm summer nights (a la Grease). Iguanas falling out of trees, think I'll have to make a set, well, probably not. 50 degrees is when we start wearing shorts in spring and maybe stop wearing them in autumn. I watch the high schoolers race out of school and there are some whom wore shorts all the way through to the first snowstorm. These kids don't have a clue that classical fashion is dictated by common sense, not slutty or macho behavior.

    Where the heck was I going? Oh, yes warm breezes, warmer nigths, even warmer days. Soon, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shonassie:

    I also live in shorts and sandals (but bare feet are better). I use the same guidelines as Calypso, around 55-60F . I know someone who wears shorts all year around, even in the snow. Of course in the very cold weather, the shorts are underneath

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete